Thursday 13 January 2011

Cyclone Vania

Well, it's a cyclone according to the NZ websites but still a strong tropical depression on the French ones.


Whatever it's called we've already got weather that resembles an oddly warm Wellington Southerly.  Lots of wind and some impressive rain.  We're on yellow alert which means there's 'cyclonic activity' in the area.  The Loyalty Islands sit out to the east of the Mainland and they are on the next alert level.  They will probably go up to the highest alert (cyclone about to hit) this afternoon.  If the current forecasts are right, in Noumea we will probably get the nastiest of the weather tomorrow.  Hopefully it will curve away and we'll just get tickled by the edges of the cyclone.


So what do we do when this happens? Well, we're all stocked up with candles, water and yummy food.  I'm trying to think of ways to entertain the kids inside for a couple of days.  The petrol stations are really busy as everyone's filling up and in all the supermarkets people's baskets are full of water and torches.


Down at the beach I spotted a few guys in the water with surfboards.  It looked like a lot of fun. Normally the beaches here have absolutely no swell as we are protected by the reef.  Maybe I'll drop Charlie down at Anse Vata for a surf after I pick him up from work tonight.


It's actually a bit exciting!  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Nicky,
Cyclone Vs "dépression" is normal, the terminology isn't the same in French and English, but they are talking about the same thing. I've know fiercer winds in Wellington...

angelique said...

It is a bit exciting Nicky but I am also a wee bit worried. It really is the closet call we have had. I was so worried about getting my car for it's service tomorrow I cancelled and looking at all the stuff going around I think it was probably a good idea.

Gemma@prettybobbins said...

We moved here on Wednesday so Vania wasn't exactly the welcome that we were expecting! The wind did sound rather scary and I'm very glad it is over.

Nicky said...

This is the first one we've had in 2.5 years so you're very unlucky to have had to deal with a cyclone in your first week! The weathers normally gorgeous here - honestly!

Gemma@prettybobbins said...

That's what people keep telling me :) We did try out the indoor playground at QUICK due to your earlier post. Kids LOVED it, unforetunately there was some damage from Vania so we couldn't go back there for a play today. I'm hoping for a rain free days for the rest of the week and entertaining the kids at the beach :)