Thursday 4 December 2008

Les Jeudis du Centre Ville




On Thursdays, Max and I jump into the car (actually - Max climbs into the car now) and head off to the early evening market to meet Charlie after work.  Every week there's a different theme, most often it's a different region in New Caledonia.  I like the Loyalty Island evenings the best.  Everyone comes over from the islands with their stuff to sell: home made cakes; carefully tended plants; woven baskets...heaps of stuff!  There's also masses of food.  We've tried taro, chouchoute, lots of different nems and samosas and even little beignets with vanilla pods inside them.  One evening there were huge crabs for sale - they sold out really fast except for one little stash.  These were let out and a crab-catching contest took place...catch your crab and you get to take it home.  I was too put off by the massive pinchers to get in the ring with the crabs!

In the lead up to Christmas, there will be some Christmas markets.  I can't wait to see the crazy things on offer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nicky
I am finally getting to read the blog, which Ruth told me about when I wasn't back online yet, and am thoroughly enjoying it. I am not a ditherer about visiting, I am in the "if I had enough money" camp. So living Noumea through your lovely descriptions is wonderful. And Max is gorgeous - a mini-you! I think of you whenever I see the All Blacks play and Aneesh's shirt is hauled out. I thought you'd like to know that thanks to far-flung friends, he is well-equipped: he now also owns a rugby ball straight from South Africa.
Hugs to you, Max and Charlie,
Sona